Tuesday, November 19, 2013

A Love Like Breathing

As I prepare a bottle I hum to myself in an attempt to drown out the hungry baby cries of my newborn infant.  I pick her up and nestle her in my arms, and then I let her have her bottle.  Her big, blue eyes never leave my face as she eats, and as I meet the gaze of my very own personal miracle,  I can't help but think that she really is the most perfectly beautiful thing in the entire universe.

She is just six weeks old and already I cannot imagine my life without her in it.  She makes it better somehow....with her big, blue eyes and sleepy smiles and cooing and even with her screaming.  She makes me better. 

She has long fingers like me and her eyes are the same shape as her daddy's eyes.  She loves water--like both of us.  But she is herself, a tiny little soul with her own personality. 

And as I stare at her face, taking in the curve of her chubby cheeks and the grace of her nose, it suddenly occurs to me that there are so many parents out there who don't take the time to cherish this moment.  Instead of reveling in the pure wonder that is their baby's face, they shove a bottle in their infant's mouth and play with their smart phone or tablet.

What is it that you have on that smart phone or tablet that is more important, more beautiful, more perfect than your baby's face?  I implore you, put it down.

Why is it that some of you sigh and roll your eyes when it is time for another feeding? 

Feeding your baby isn't an inconvenience.  It's a gift.  This time won't last forever.  My baby will grow, and so will yours.  One day those tiny hands that try so hard to grasp at a bottle won't be so tiny.  One day your baby will discover something to look at that they find far more intriguing than your face.

So today....today I look back.  I look back when my daughter looks at my face.  I look back in awe, and sometimes I look back with tears in my eyes because this moment, this moment is the moment I know I will come to miss most one day.  This moment, in its simpleness, is love.  So I look back....I look back at the most perfect love there is, a love I created with the love of my life, a love so effortless it is like breathing.

No comments:

Post a Comment