Thursday, October 31, 2013

This is Halloween!

All Hallow's Eve is the night when the veil between the living and the dead temporarily thins and spirits walk the earth.  It's a night rife with superstition, throbbing with legend and storied with frightening creatures.  It is my favorite holiday.

I love the chill in the air. I love the crunch of leaves underfoot. I love the costumes and the creativity. I love the trick-or-treaters and the candy.  I love playing pretend. I love spooky stories and scary movies.  I enjoy Halloween music.  I enjoy the delight children take in going door to door asking for free candy.  I enjoy the thrill of it all.

But this year I am....tired.  I nearly bled to death less than a month ago and my body has not recovered.  So for the first time in my life I'm having a low-key Halloween.  I did not throw my annual Halloween party this year.  I am not going out tonight.  For the first time in my 29 years, I am staying in.

And you know what?  I'm fine with that.

We bought Ninja Baby the cutest Jack-O-Lantern outfit. We're going to give her her very first bath and put her in her cute little costume.  We're going to make some brownies. Then you know what we're going to do?  We're going to snuggle up on the couch with a Halloween movie and enjoy some quiet family time.  I never would have guessed that such simple plans would ever make me happy, could ever be the most perfect Halloween plans for me...but they are. 

I don't need elaborate holidays.  Right now I need simple.  I need love....and this, this little family I have been blessed with, this is the most perfect love there is.




No comments:

Post a Comment